[ome-devel] OME-tif & original_metadata.xml Now you see it...

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Tue Nov 6 17:23:45 GMT 2012

Hi Ian,

> I''ve been sent a batch of OME-tif files from another group.
> These have been generated using an instrument manufacturers own software.
>
> I have imported the files into OMERO via the insight client & am now trying to work with them from there.
>
> Some of the imported images have an annotation called original metdadata.txt which contains a very minimal amount of information.
>
> Others don't seem to have any annotation at all.!
>
> Frustratingly,when I open the original OME-tifs, using a text-editor, the ones that import with no annotation seem to have a readable xml looking  header.
> The ones that import with an annotation aren't readable in a text editor.

That sounds very much like you have a set of OME-TIFFs (XML header, no
"original metadata.txt") and a set of some other sort of TIFFs from the
same software (no XML header, with "original metadata.txt").

> I ned some way of determining whether a given image comes from this particular instrument.
> For those images  with original_metadata.txr annotation I can look in there.

If the XML in the OME-TIFFs is fully and properly populated, then I would expect
that you could find what you need in the 'Model' and 'Manufacturer'
attributes of 'Microscope'.  Probably the best thing to do though would
be to send an example from each of the two sets, and we can investigate
from there.

Regards,
-Melissa