[ome-devel] Release of OMERO 4.4.0

Jason Swedlow j.r.swedlow at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 18:53:09 BST 2012

Dear All-

Today, the OME Consortium (http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/about/development-teams), is proud to announce the release of OMERO-4.4.0.

This is a major release, which focuses on providing new functionality for controlling access to data, as well as significant improvements in our client applications.

The software is available at http://openmicroscopy.org<http://openmicroscopy.org/>

The major theme of 4.4.0 is what we call  "Permissions", which refers to how users control access to their data.  It's now possible to move data between groups, and much, much more.  For some info on what all this entails, see:

https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/products/feature-list

We also added a few more things for users in 4.4.0, like:

-- OMERO.insight webstart
-- Importing from OMERO.insight is now complete
-- better integration of OMERO.insight with ImageJ
-- a bottom-to-top reworking of the OMERO.web design

For developers and sysadmins, there are a few things as well:

-- Support for Ice 3.4
-- Removed Support for PostgreSQL 8.3

Upgrade from 4.3.3 to 4.4.0 is fairly straightforward, see: http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/server/upgrade for more details.

For full details of the development effort underlying the OMERO 4.4.0 release, see:
http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/milestone/OMERO-4.4

We are already at work on 4.4.1, which will fix bugs and clean up and add lots of Documentation.  Check the Roadmap pages for more info (http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/milestone/OMERO-4.4.1).

Our feedback system, OMERO.qa (http://qa.openmicroscopy.org.uk<http://qa.openmicroscopy.org.uk/>) is a facility that users and developers can use to log comments and exceptions.  OMERO.qa supports uploading of problematic data files, and tracking of responses to any user queries.

As always, thanks for your support.

Cheers,

Jason

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street