[ome-devel] Archiving large files - 2GB limit

Alex Herbert a.herbert at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Aug 21 14:04:26 BST 2012

Dear OME Team,

We currently archive all our images when importing into OMERO. Some of
these images are large multi-dimensional images that can be over 2GB in
size. Unfortunately this appears to the limit for archived files.

The 4GB limit for exporting pixels was addressed with fixes to the
BIG-TIFF support. Images can now be imported and all pixel data viewed
within OMERO. This can also be exported as OME-TIFF and all the pixel
data is present.

Unfortunately during import archived files are truncated at 2GB
(2147483648 bytes). This is the upper limit for a signed integer. If an
image larger than this is imported the data file in the /OMERO/Files
directory is limited to 2147483648 bytes. Possibly this is due to the
use of integers to accumulate the number of bytes read from the file.

When the file is exported it is created using the correct byte size.
However all bytes after 2147483648 are zero. This leads to black frames
in our exported archive image, i.e. the export runs out of data to write
and the allocated file is left blank.

This problem was present on OMERO 4.3.3. It was recently discovered by a
researcher when analysing original image files and I have confirmed that
we have over 200 archived images over 2GB that are truncated. Pixel data
is recoverable using OME-TIFF export but the original image file is not.
Consequently our current policy is to archive large images on a file store.

I have tested OMERO 4.4.1 and this truncation problem is still present.
Can you confirm that this is a bug? I would like to verify that it is
not a combination of our client, server and file system. I have tested
using Ext3 on CentOS 4 and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

It is easy to replicate by generating a 16-bit Hyperstack in ImageJ
using dimensions 1024x1024x2x4x320 (5GB image). An image of
1024x1024x2x4x192 (3GB) would also be truncated but obviously cannot be
used to verify the >4GB export limit on OME-TIFF.

Regards,

Alex