[ome-devel] Building OMERO from source

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 13:04:56 BST 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 21:54 -0500, Curtis Rueden wrote:
> Hi Ankur,
>
>         > I'd like to package OMERO as an rpm and make it available to
>         fedora
>         > users as part of our fedora-medical initiative[1]. I've
>         looked on the
>         > site etc., but haven't found a lot of documentation on how
>         to build
>         > OMERO from source. Could you please point me to the correct
>         > documentation?
>
>         I think what you are seeking is here:
>
>         https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/omero4/server/installation
>
> The link Johannes mentioned is useful for getting OMERO.server
> installed, but if you really want to build from source, check out:
>
>   http://trac.openmicroscopy.org/ome/wiki/OmeroContributing
>
> Additional details about the build system can be found at:
>   http://trac.openmicroscopy.org/ome/wiki/OmeroBuild
>   http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/ome/wiki/OmeroDevelopment
>
> Regards,
> Curtis

Hello!

Thanks Johannes and Curtis,

I was looking for pointers on building from source. I have them now :)

A little information on our packaging guidelines:

- At the fedora project, we need to build *all* packages from source
when we make rpms for inclusion into the fedora repositories.
- No bundled libraries/jars are permitted. If a library is required for
building an application (BuildRequires), it needs to be first packaged
and made available in the fedora repos. This is done to prevent
duplication of libraries. If we use libs/jars included in the various
source tars, there'll be multiple copies of libraries with different
versions. This will become *very* difficult to maintain.

I therefore am going to look for all the BuildRequires for OMERO. If
they're not already packaged, I will package these, and then proceed to
package OMERO.
--
Thanks,
Regards,