[ome-devel] ROI Display Options

dzmacdonald donald at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Tue May 25 15:01:42 BST 2010

Hi Curtis,

We've just moved the description of the ROIShape from the
ShapeDisplayOptions onto shape, there are several reasons for this:
* It helps on the server side, simplifying the queries for retrieving
shape info (no joins on a potentially large table).
* One of the reasons we've got display settings on shape rather than
ROI is to compensate for the lack of ROI-ROI links, so an ROI could
define the change of state of an object via text attribute
* We also are looking at using ROI/ROIShape to do more than just
define ROI on an image, but to store other UI geometries.
* It was the way I coded up the measurement tool :)

This proposal is definitely not set in stone, I can see it being more
advantageous to move the display settings to ROI and therefore make
ROIShape deal strictly geometry when we get ROI-ROI Link.
I am quite dubious about  moving DisplayOptions to a separate table to
allow more displays to store separate display options for ROI, as the
trade of off performance (joins on table) vs use-case is debatable.

We are going to have a minigroup to discuss ROI and modeling, it's
provisionally set for Friday (28th May) at 2pm, anyone who's
interested is welcome to join us via Skype, Teamspeak.

Also  If any one is coming to Paris we can certainly discuss use-cases
and talk about any changes that maybe required.

BTW, You may not be aware of the proposed changes to ROI to
accommodate 3D ROI, http://ome-xml.org/browser/Documentation/Graphics/ROI/2010-09/Ome-ROI-overview-Proposal-2010-09.png
.

Regards

D.