[ome-devel] Upgrading your OMERO4.1 database

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Mon May 10 07:43:51 BST 2010

Alessandro Dellavedova writes:
 > Hi Josh,

Hi Alessandro,

 > thank you very much for your kind answer.

Gladly.

 > Together with the Imaging facility here at our Campus we decided to
 > adopt OMERO for centralized storage and management of the data
 > produced by:
 >
 > - Timelapse microscopes;
 > - Spinning disks;
 > - Dual Photon microscope.
 >
 > We tested version OMERO Beta-4.1.1-r5927-b91 and we spotted a
 > couple of bugs (one of those should be already fixed in LOCI):
 >
 > https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/ticket/1979
 > https://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=372
 >
 > Basically I was trying to upgrade to the latest RC version in order to test the following things:

Understood. Though the database is going into RC, the code has not
yet. We need another couple of weeks before code freeze. But we'll
certainly contact the mailing lists to say when would be a good time
to test.

 > - LDAP authentication (here we have 600 users on an OpenLDAP
 >   directory based on RFC 2307 "Posix accounts");

 > - Group-based permissions (we do have a quite high number of small
 > teams, that are Posix groups, where scientists from different
 > scientific groups share some info in order to achieve their goals);

 > - Sharing of data via Web between groups;

These three items are all scheduled for the RC, and we'll be looking
very forward to your feedback.

 > - Stress testing.

 > For this project we bought a Sun X4540 fully loaded with 48x2TB
 > SATA II disks for a grand total of 96TB raw of disk space and we
 > will be using Solaris as Operating System, with ZFS filesystem.
 >
 > If you do have some spare time I'd like to go indeep about the
 > choice we made about Solaris and ZFS, because the technical details
 > and the filesystem reliability are mandatory when dealing with
 > multi-terabyte storage pools, and ZFS features some very
 > interesting stuff (eg: block-level data deduplication directly
 > implemented in the filesystem, this can save a LOT of space).

I'll let others who have experience with ZFS speak up, but it will be
very exciting to hear how this works out for you.

 > As per your kind explainations I'll be waiting a little bit more
 > then I'll start over using OMERO4.2-RC__5 when available.

Sounds like a good plan.

 > Again, thank you very much for your time and for the efforts that
 > the OMERO team is putting into this great platform, you are really
 > changing the way we are doing microscopy and information management
 > here.

Very happy to hear it!

 > Best,
 >
 > Alessandro