[ome-devel] Load Balancing with Omero

Josh Moore josh at glencoesoftware.com
Sun May 2 18:55:08 BST 2010

Luca Lianas writes:
 > Hi,

Hi Luca,

 > is there any documentation about load balancing with Omero?

Not currently, no.

 > It is likely that we'll have to use Omero in a high data throughput
 > context, and I would like to know how difficult it will be to
 > create a load balanced Omero service.

Could you possibly tell us about what type of usage you're expecting
(number of simultaneous users, number of images per day, average size
of images, etc.); if you've already run into performance issues; and
what your network and hardware configurations are?

Depending on all these and more factors, there are various methods of
scaling OMERO and we'll do our best to make sensible suggestions.

If you'd like to look into the existing load-balancing infrastructure,
you might take a look at:

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroClustering

  and

http://hudson.openmicroscopy.org.uk/job/OMERO/javadoc/ome/services/blitz/redirect/package-frame.html

These are the classes and interfaces we use on some sites for
providing session-based balancing and failover, but inevitably very
tailored to the specific environment. Before going down that road,
optimizing your PostgreSQL installation, your filesystem, and your
available RAM may be more productive.

 > Thanks
 > Luca

Cheers,