[ome-devel] ScanR importer bit representation

Rubén Muñoz ruben.munoz at embl.de
Mon Nov 30 16:07:19 GMT 2009

> Hi Ruben,

Hi Melissa, I understand that mine was not an ScanR specific question,
but I have to detail a bit more what I believe an issue.

> The pixel type recorded by the ScanR software is stored in each of the
> TIFF files.  The above code retrieves the pixel type stored in the
> first TIFF file; later on, that pixel type is assigned to each well
> and field.  So for the purposes of importing into OMERO, you should
> not need to convert int16 images to uint16 - Bio-Formats will detect
> whether or not the images are signed.

With images from this microscope Pixel type = uint16 is auto detected,
but they are all signed 16 bit, we know this with precision.

Then the files are not properly auto-detected, or the files are not
consistent themselves, next is the output of ./showinf

Checking file format [Olympus ScanR]
Series count = 54
Series #0:
	Image count = 25
	RGB = false (1)
	Interleaved = false
	Indexed = false (true color)
	Width = 1344
	Height = 1024
	SizeZ = 1
	SizeT = 25
	SizeC = 1
	Thumbnail size = 128 x 97
	Endianness = intel (little)
	Dimension order = XYCTZ (uncertain)
	Pixel type = uint16
	Metadata complete = false
	Thumbnail series = false

16 signed bit images display completely out of range, far too bright
only in light grey (also with ./showinf).

Can we do something about it, to have "int16" stored would be correct.

> The only assumption is that every well and field has the same pixel
> type - if you know of a case where that assumption is incorrect,
> please let me know

All them are signed so far.

Thanks for your understanding,

Ruben