[ome-devel] ScanR importer bit representation

Melissa Linkert melissa at glencoesoftware.com
Mon Nov 30 15:21:59 GMT 2009

Hi Ruben,

> We are
> concerned that ScanR software is storing signed bit images, but part of the
> code reads:
>
>    reader = new MinimalTiffReader();
>    reader.setId(tiffs[0]);
>    int sizeX = reader.getSizeX();
>    int sizeY = reader.getSizeY();
>    int pixelType = reader.getPixelType();

The pixel type recorded by the ScanR software is stored in each of the
TIFF files.  The above code retrieves the pixel type stored in the
first TIFF file; later on, that pixel type is assigned to each well
and field.  So for the purposes of importing into OMERO, you should
not need to convert int16 images to uint16 - Bio-Formats will detect
whether or not the images are signed.

The only assumption is that every well and field has the same pixel
type - if you know of a case where that assumption is incorrect,
please let me know.

> A different question would be if the 'real' number of bits used have a place
> in OMERO metada, for example for many microscopes this is 12 bits.

The "real" bit depth is not currently stored.  We do have plans to
record this information in Bio-Formats (see
https://skyking.microscopy.wisc.edu/trac/java/ticket/433); I'm not
sure if there are plans to add this to the OME-XML data model.

Regards,
-Melissa