[ome-devel] Hibernate PropertyAccessExcpetion when creating WellSamples in 4.0.1

Bernhard Holländer bernhard.voigt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 15:24:07 BST 2009

Hi Josh!

> The change moving to 4.0.x is that the relation Well->WelSample is now
> ordered, so that users can change the display of an entire Plate to
> use the same field.
Ah, that's interesting. Could you please elaborate a little bit more
on how this is achieved. I would have been using the WellSample's
timepoint as a field counter to select the same field for an entires
Plate.

> Though this exception is an abomination, Hibernate is telling you that
> it's not possible to save the WellSample without it's Well instance
> loaded. This makes sense since the Well.wellSamples List needs to be
> loaded so that the "WellSample.well_index" column can be properly
> initialized.

I assume the well_index field is set automatically and not accessible
through the object?

> To do so, re-order your saves to save the Wells rather than the
> WellSamples.

Your proposal is fine, however, in our application one creates plates
and all the wells before assigning samples taken in the well. In
particular if a plate is measured multiple times I wouldn't create
different well sets and have to assign well samples to existing wells.
I try if it's possible to load the existing well, add a well sample
and save the modified well to insert the new sample. If you see a
problem in this approach, please let me know.

Thanks! Bernhard