[ome-devel] Why are TextAnnotationI.{h,py} emtpy

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Wed Apr 22 13:22:12 BST 2009

Bernhard Holländer writes:
 > Hi developers!

Hi Bernhard,

 > Is it on purpose that the TextAnnotionI.{h,py} files are empty? Is the
 > TextAnnotion replaced by another type?

The TextAnnotation type is abstract in 4.0. Keeping track of the
non-abstract superclass and its various subclasses was difficult in
practice, especially re: queries. Use "CommentAnnotation" as the
unstructured string version of a text annotation.

I've also add the comment:

  // File may be empty since type is abstract

to the code generated files. Sorry for any confusion.

 > By the way, is there a change list from version 3 to 4 for developers?
 > That would be great, I saw a few mails regarding changes in the API on
 > the mailing list, but it would be great to have short list on the wiki
 > pages.

The currently most complete porting guide is:

  https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroClients#PortingfromOMEROBeta3.x

but it is primarily focused on 3.2 Java/RMI -> 4.0
Java/Ice. Nevertheless, it should give you a good sense of what has
changed. If you have specific questions, let us know and we'll add
them there (which I've done for the one above)

 > Thanks! Bernhard

Cheers,
~Josh.