[ome-devel] Building OmeroCpp

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Thu Oct 2 10:11:12 BST 2008

James Perry writes:
 > Hi Josh, everyone,

Morning James,

 > Thanks for your help so far with building OmeroCpp. I'm now trying to
 > get an example to run but having problems. I always get:
 >
 > terminate called after throwing an instance of 'IceUtil::NullHandleException'
 >    what():  /home/digs/Ice/include/IceUtil/Handle.h:46:
 > IceUtil::NullHandleException
 > Aborted
 >
 > when creating the omero::client object. Is there something I need on
 > the command line or in a configuration file somewhere to make Ice happy?

I tracked down the issue to omero::client::init() and updated Beta3.1

https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/changeset/2851

Ice was returning a null pointer without the proper
configuration. I've added a nicer error message. The fix for Beta4 is
more substantial and forthcoming.

For Beta3, the simplest options are either passing

  ./yourcode --Ice.Config=your/config/file1,file2

to your executable, or setting the environment variable:

  export ICE_CONFIG=your/config/file1,file2

For a sample configuration file, look at dist/etc/ice.config

If you'd like a more dynamic solution, then you'll need to provide an
initialized Ice::InitializationData into the omero::client()
constructor. I'm in the process of writing sample code for that, which
will be uploaded to:

https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/browser/trunk/examples/OmeroClients

I would be interested to here of any particular examples that might be
useful.

 > The other thing I wondered about is that my server is running on a
 > different machine from where I'm developing the client. I haven't
 > found a way to specify a remote machine in the client code yet. Is
 > there a way to do this? Could this be the cause of the problem above?
 > Thanks,
 > James

Best wishes,
~Josh.

P.S. Just a heads-up if any of us are ever late to respond, all of
your emails are being marked as spam by GMX:

I've added you to my whitelist.