[ome-devel] OMERO and Ports for Productionsystem

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Wed Oct 1 17:39:01 BST 2008

Gernot Stocker writes:
 > Hi Josh,
 > sorry for the delayed answer but I was busy during the last days.

Gernot, certainly no qualms from us. It's a busy (and exciting) time.

 > On Tuesday 30 September 2008, josh.moore at gmx.de wrote:
 > > [...]
 > > I installed your configuration into JBoss 4.2.3, with OMERO Beta3.0.1
 > > and didn't get the error you were having:
 > >

 > OK, that's not what I hoped to read from you ;-)

*lol* What would you have liked to read?

 > > [...]
 > > How dependent are your web apps on JBoss 4.2.1? Would it be possible
 > > for you to upgrade to OMERO Beta3 and JBoss 4.2.3 and test this out?
 > > (Psst, don't tell, but OMERO Beta3.1 will be coming out very soon if
 > > that makes a difference). The Beta3 series is a pretty big jump in
 > > terms of tech, so it would probably be to your benefit anyway.
 >
 > OK that's great news! I've seen, that Beta3.1(Oct 2008) is out NOW and
 > if the client is working now we will develop against this version. This
 > brings me to an important question regarding API stability of the Client.
 >
 > We would like to include in one of our next iLAP releases the OMERO-
 > support. How stable is the client and how different will the OmeroBlitz-
 > API for OMERO 4 compared to the current RMI Client 3.1?

Semantically, the blitz interface is a superset of the JBoss
interface, so once the migration is complete, there will be no loss of
functionality. I need to stress, however, that what we're doing at the
moment is exploratory to make sure that we can guarantee that "no loss
of functionality" in the next release.

There are numerous code-level changes required when changing between
the APIs, since Ice is a very different beast than RMI. We'll be
outlining these while also prepairing numerous code examples at:

  https://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroClients

but at the moment that's very much a work in progress (as is trunk).

 >  > If you definitely need to stay on the Beta2.3 version, the most
 > > complete solution will be the support offered by Glencoe Software.
 >
 > Since all of our JBoss-instances are running independently from each other
 > we can easily switch version for one single application. I will immediately
 > try out the Beta 3.1 release and report my experiences with it regarding
 > the ports problem.

Great. Looking forward to hearing how things go.

Cheers all,
~Josh.