[ome-devel] using blitz

josh.moore at gmx.de josh.moore at gmx.de
Tue Nov 18 13:00:34 GMT 2008

Bernhard Voigt writes:
 > Dear all,

Hi Bernhard,

 > I've started working with the ice-python interface of omero blitz.
 > Unfortunately, I came across some problems. Using the binary
 > distribution of Beta3.1.1 does not work right away since there is a
 > problem with the generated python code. There are several method calls
 > in many files of the form:
 > return _M_omero.model.IObject._op_unload.invoke(self, ((), _ctx))
 >
 > The call on the python ice object yields an error that the method
 > needs 3 rather than 2 arguments. Removing the tuple parantheses around
 > ((), _ctx) solves the problem. I had to do this change in many files,
 > tough. Is this a problem with my Python-Ice version, which is 3.2.1?

Yes. You'll need Ice 3.3.0. What OS are you using?

 > Another problem I see is that not all classes are present, e.g. I
 > can't follow the examples on
 > http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroClients#TreeList
 > since there is no omero.util.ParametersI python class available.

ParametersI is in trunk. The documentation on the wiki is slowly
moving to match Beta4, and the *most* Beta4 is OmeroClients since it
is being written currently while we port all the clients.

 > I then tried to compile blitz and ice-python myself to see whether
 > this is just a problem of the binary package. I'm using the sources
 > from  http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/svn/omero/tags/Beta3.1.1  and
 > ran $java omero setup before compilation.
 >
 > I tried several build targets build-default, build-blitz, build-py but
 > none of them created dist/bin/omero or bin/omero to start the blitz
 > server, neither the python bindings were generated in dist/lib/

In the Beta3 line, where blitz is not turned on by default, it's
necessary to edit:

  etc/local.properties

and add the values:

  no.ice=false
  ice.home=<The top-level Ice directory with slice subdir>

These instructions (which haven't been updated to Beta4 yet) are at:

  http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/BlitzBuild

 > Would be great if someone can give me advice how to setup the build
 > and/or help to fix the problems with the binary distribution.

Once you have the right Ice version and the configuration above:

 ant

which calls build-default should suffice to build blitz. At that
point, you might want to take a look at:

  http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/wiki/OmeroGridInstall

for getting the server up and running. Let us know what else would
help.

 > Thanks!  Bernhard

Best wishes,
~Josh.