[ome-devel] OME Update

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Tue Dec 23 09:39:56 GMT 2008

Dear All-

Just a quick update:

We had a great time at ASCB in San Francisco.  A great response at the
booth, and we really enjoyed meeting all the people that came by.
Thanks for all the feedback, ideas and suggestions for future work.

As with all OME gatherings, we never stopped designing, scheming,
critiquing, and defining our future plans.  We closed down Vicoletto (http://www.yelp.com/biz/vicoletto-san-francisco
), and many thanks to Francesco for not throwing us out after 2 hours
of once again planning Beta4, Beta4.1, and yes, deciding when to come
out of Beta (more on that later).  Our apologies to the other patrons
who must still be wondering how geeks can be so passionate.

We have a good idea of how 2009 will go, and are just going over our
very ambitious ideas to make sure they are crazy, wild, fun, but not
insane.  We are on track for Beta4 release for 15 Feb, where you'll
see our new browser-based OMERO client and substantially improved
metadata support.  All of our clients have been moved over to our ICE-
based Blitz server, so installation is simpler, and yes, everything is
faster.  Look for SPW around mid-2009, and the delivery of OMERO.fs
stepwise across all aspects of OMERO.  Alot will change in OMERO in
the next few months.  We'll get a heads-up email out early in 2009.

It's been quite a year, and we very much appreciate your support,
interest and feedback.  The team has worked very hard, and has a big
year in front of them.  For the next 10 days, we'll only provide very
limited support-- the team is resting, sleeping, feeding, enjoying
families, and getting ready for the next big push.  If you don't get
your install or API questions answered before Jan 5, then, uh, well,
open a bottle of champagne and raise a glass to another year of OME.
We'll be back with you shortly.

As always, thanks for your support.  From all of us, and our families,
to you and yours-- Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Jason

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street