[ome-devel] Structured Annotations

Joshua Moore josh.moore at gmx.de
Sun Dec 21 17:30:25 GMT 2008

Matthias Dunda writes:
 > Hi guys!

Hi Matthias.

 > As I see in the DB, structured annotations have a so far not
 > further referenced discriminator field.
 >
 > For a created link in Insight it's called /basic/text/url/.
 >
 > Two questions:
 >
 > - is there a list of all discriminators with the context in which
 > - they are used

Yes and no. The discriminator field is an internal Hibernate
mechanism. It determines which concrete subclass of Annotation will be
generated. These values can be seen in:

    components/model/resources/mappings/annotations.ome.xml

but are in no way available to the client.

 > - can I use any arbitrary string to define my own annotations like
 > - /this/is/my/stuff/; meaning: can I create an annotation model,
 > - set its fields as I like, save it, and in turn link it via a
 > - projectannotationlink to a project?

No. It would be necessary to update the annotations mapping file and
regenerate all the client code and the database. At that point, you've
created your own distribution which will not work with other OMERO
installations. However, if the annotation type you need is of general
use, then we'd certainly be very interested in possibly adding it to
trunk.

 > Cheers
 > Matthias

Best wishes,