[ome-devel] Thumbnails

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Tue Aug 26 09:13:06 BST 2008

Hi Matthias-

On 26 Aug 2008, at 08:20, Matthias Dunda wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I finally generated thumbnails for a Dataset:
>
>         List<Image> imgs = OmeroTools.getImagesForDataset(conn, 178);
>
>                 for ( Image i : imgs){
>                         Pixels p = i.getDefaultPixels();
>                         System.out.println("Generated thumb for pix
> id "+p.getId());
>                         ThumbnailStore tstore =
> conn.getServiceFactory().createThumbnailService();
>                         tstore.setPixelsId(p.getId());
>                         tstore.createThumbnail(160,120);
>                 }
>
> This worked, /OMERO/Thumbnails got populated, database entries
> exist...

Great stuff.  We look forward to seeing your client applications.
Are they being released as GPL?  If not, please be aware of the tersm
of the GPL license  (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html). If you
are distributing commercial applications, please contact Glencoe
Software for a commercial license.

> I was finally hoping, that this would speed up loading the pics in
> the Browser but it doesn't.
>
> So first question: what are thumbnails generally good for? where do
> they come into play?

Thumbnails are used by users to see previews of images.

> Second question: is there a way to speed up the loading in the
> browser view?

You'll have to explain what you want-- what is acceptable for a given
application.  We are working on various accelerations of the OMERO
server and clients; see http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/omero/
milestone/3.0-Beta3.1 and http://trac.openmicroscopy.org.uk/shoola/
milestone/3.0-Beta3.1

> Third question: what is an appropriate size for the thumbs?

It depends on what your users want.  What application are you looking
for?

> Last question (remaining from my last post): what is the method
> createThumbnails() good for? So far it did nothing for me.

I'll let Chris or Josh answer that one.

Cheers,

Jason

> Cheers
> Matthias
>
> --
> Matthias Dunda, Dipl.-Inform.
> c.a.r.u.s. IT AG
> Phone: (040) 5 14 35-0, intl.: +49.40.5 14 35-0

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street