[ome-devel] Integrating OMERO with DiGS

James Perry jamesp at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 15:09:34 BST 2008

Hi Josh,

Thank you for the very helpful response (and sorry for late reply,
unexpected problems on another project have taken up a lot of my time
this week).

>  >  From what I have seen, I think it would be better for DiGS to go
>  > through the OMERO APIs to access image files rather than attempting to
>  > manipulate the OMERO data store directly. As I understand it, the data
>  > store is in an OMERO internal format which may change in different
>  > versions and may not be readable by other software. I was wondering if
>  > there are APIs to do things like the following:
>
> Definitely. What programming language are you looking to do this in?
> Currently, C++, Python, and Java are supported.

Our existing software is in C and Java, so it should be possible for
us to use the Java API or link in C++ code if that seems more suitable.

>  >   - access the OME-XML metadata (read/write)
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but in general all metadata that
> is imported is available through the API. Can you give a concrete example?

I was wondering whether the metadata is stored in the OME-XML format,
and if so whether it is possible to access it in this format through
the API. This is because we have existing technology for building and
running queries against XML metadata (for searching for data sets, for
example) and we are wondering if this might be useful here. I will
have a more detailed look at the APIs.

Thanks again for the detailed response. I intend to experiment with
the OMERO APIs to see if we can do what we need to, but from what
you've said it sounds hopeful.

Regards,
James

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.