[ome-devel] Analysis Chain Methodology

Tom Macura tm289 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 6 18:40:24 GMT 2007

Hi Brian,

> Unless I am missing something, it seems that Analysis Chains can
> only be
> run on data sets.
Yes analysis chains are executed against datasets.

> Right now I am doing some ugly tricks to get a chain to run on a
> single image - which
> basically boils down to creating a dummy dataset with one image in it.
What you are doing is exactly right if you want to execute an
analysis chain against a single image.

> We really want to run chains on single images, since our data sets
> are large and
> the inputs to the chain are variable (it may not be appropriate to
> have
> the same value for every image in the dataset).
Sounds to me that you want to manually enter a different input for
each image. Generally OME is designed for doing thing at large scale
in an automated way. Same analysis chain against a large dataset,
running for many many hours with most parameters auto-detected.

> I'm just curious what the reason was for not having per image chain
> support?
It wasn't needed -- making dummy datasets worked for us.

> And, would anyone know how difficult or time intensive it
> would be to modify OME to get it to work on single images?
This is mainly an interface problem. If you think through how the
command line and web interfaces need to be modified to support per
image chain execution support, I can modify the Analysis Engine ("the
innards") in a fairly trivial way to accommodate per image chain
execution.

But... I still fail to  understand what is wrong with dummy datasets.

Tom