[ome-devel] Questions about initial development.

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Fri Oct 6 18:39:21 BST 2006

On 6 Oct 2006, at 17:44, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> P.S. to Ilya: Thanks for the excellent and thorough summary of the
> state of the two systems. Your writeup is so informative and useful
> that I think it would beneficial to post it somewhere on the main web
> site, in an "OME and OMERO" section or some such. I would be willing
> to create such a page using your words plus a bit more background
> information (i.e., OME is mature, while OMERO is experimental). What
> do you think?

Agreed-- would be very useful.  Hopefully it is clear, based on my
email and Ilya's.  Some comments:

-- OME is released & supported.  OMERO is experimental, not yet
released, and not yet supported.  Quite frankly, we don't even yet
know whether OMERO can work in a real intensive imaging environment
(we are testing it now, in a facility that collects ~1 TB/week; yes,
we are starting slowly).

-- While OMERO development has been ongoing for some time, it has not
been included on the OME website, simply to avoid any possible
confusion.  All presentations I am aware of also state this
explicitly.  Personally, I'd be reluctant to change the OME site
substantially-- OMERO just isn't ready for release.  We are certainly
testing at our site and a couple of others.  Bottom line, people's
time and data are too precious to subject them to unstable,
unfinished code.  We have guinea pigs here at Dundee who are bearing
the brunt of that experience ;-)!

-- The idea of a replacement, or even a competition, is not at all
correct.  The unfortunate thing is that the OME project is research--
we are still trying to understand all the ins and outs of delivering
high performance image informatics tools for research.  We've been at
this for 6 years, in various forms, and the problem is not yet fully
solved.  If it weren't this hard, it would have been done already.

-- Ilya's thoughts in terms of the interactivity between an instances
of OMERO and OME servers are spot on.  In fact, we'd like to achieve
a tighter integration.  The technical choices we made on OMERO
reflect what we needed to do at the time to get the project developed
as quickly as possible.  Ilya and I differ on this choice.  We don't
disagree on the need to get the systems back to a unified data
structure.  Most likely that will mean reworking OMERO.  However,
OMERO has been built for this type of flexibility.  We will finish
our third milestone set in the next 3 weeks (see http://
cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Omero) and will
then start designing our strategy for aligning the servers more
closely.

-- A reiteration of some of Ilya's points: the OME server provides
functionality that is critical for large scale data analysis,
especially in image classification (e.g., see http://
cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Computing+Image
+Signatures+in+OME) and an integration with MATLAB .  There are many
others.  We use the OME server for large scale data analysis, mostly
object segmentation (see http://www.openmicroscopy.org/howto/
FindSpots-v2.pdf).

In principle, placing such statements on the OME web site is fine.  I
would prefer to wait a few more weeks til we have a finished M3 and
can point interested parties towards that, and also have an
articulated strategy for aligning the servers.  However, if there is
reason to do this sooner, that is fine.

Cheers,

Jason

**************************