[ome-devel] OME matlab install

kris kris at cs.ucsb.edu
Wed Mar 29 21:48:32 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 17:37 +0000, Tom Macura wrote:

> >     The default C compile cannot be overridden.
> Agreed but I don't think this is worth supporting because I am sure
> "soon" Matlab code will become compatible with gcc-4.X .
>
> We got the Matlab interface to compile with gcc-4.X after we modified
> it a little. The problem was that  bool keyword in C99 is in its own
> header, <stdbool.h>. Previous C standards did not define a boolean
> type, and various (incompatible) methods were used to simulate a
> boolean type.

   We may not be able to install a new matlab version.
So some sort of support would be good, even if only
allowing the user to set the default C compiler at the
top level install.

> > 3.  matlab extra parameters:
> >
> >     One of our machines runs a 64 kernel and 32 bit user space.
> >     Matlab works fine if it is launched with the extra parameter
> >     -glnx86.    However, we fail during installation as we cannot
> >     pass the user test, etc... I haven't found any environment
> >     vars to define, but it would also be useful to have some
> >     default params passed as configuration variable.
> I added an installer question for matlab exec_flags. The default is
> -"nodisplay -nojvm". You can now change it to
> "-nodisplay -nojvm -glnx86".

   Something drastically changed.. During the compilation
it no longer finds the include directory.. From the PerlModuleTask.log.
(note the architecture is incorrect also and hence the -glnx86).

Matlab Vers:
 Matlab Arch: glnxa64
 Matlab Home: /home/matlab
 Include:
 Lib:
 Lib Path:

 Checking if your kit is complete...
 Looks good
 Modifying LD_RUN_PATH...
 Modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH...
 Adding LD_LIBRARY_PATH to Make Test ...
 Writing Makefile for OME::Matlab
"

COMPILING MODULE -- 'make'
FAILURE -- OUTPUT: "cp Matlab.pm blib/lib/OME/Matlab.pm
 cp MatlabInfo.pl blib/lib/OME/MatlabInfo.pl
 /usr/bin/perl /usr/share/perl/5.8/ExtUtils/xsubpp
-typemap /usr/share/perl/5.8/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap
Matlab.xs > Matlab.xsc && mv Matlab.xsc Matlab.c
 Please specify prototyping behavior for Matlab.xs (see perlxs manual)
 cc -c   -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBIAN
-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2   -DVERSION=\"2.004001\" -DXS_VERSION=
\"2.004001\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE"   Matlab.c
 Matlab.xs:41:20: matrix.h: No such file or directory
 Matlab.xs:42:20: engine.h: No such file or directory
 Matlab.xs:43: error: syntax error before '*' token

> Thanks a lot for your detailed email. This made it very easy for me
> to fix the problems,

Thanks for fixing the problems so quickly.. sorry it took some time
to try them out.

--
Kristian Kvilekval
kris at cs.ucsb.edu  http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~kris w:805-893-2526 h:504-9756