[ome-devel] analysis model import

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Mar 23 18:51:54 GMT 2006

This is just a warning.  Maybe we should preface this message with
"Warning: " to make it more clear/less scary?

LSIDs are a very important chaos abatement measure, and the warning
is there to remind us that all is not necessarily well with the world.

LSIDs are globally-unique identifiers.  The reason for the warning is
that in an LSID-compliant world, it would cause data corruption and
loss if you allowed different objects to have the same LSID world-
wide.  Since we can't resolve remote LSIDs, that's something we just
can't verify yet, so we issue a warning instead.  Your module's LSID
authority is "openmicroscopy.org", which is the right thing to use if
you intend to make this module part of the standard distribution.
The server actually goes as far as realizing its never seen this LSID
before and that a remote LSID authority issued it, so it tries to
contact the remote authority to verify the object's identity.  The
last step isn't implemented, and hence the warning.

We can verify LSIDs locally though (and we do), and this is why you
can't re-import "modified" XML without changing the LSIDs.  If you
import that file again, the LSID will now resolve locally and you
won't have the warning, and no duplicate module either, even if you
import it again from a completely different document.  If you export
this module to XML, then OME will re-use the same LSID as before, and
issue new LSIDs (using the local authority specified during
installation) for any new objects it generates (like analysis
results, for example).

Globally unique identifiers are cool, and OME supports and uses LSIDs
fairly well - except of course the remote resolution bit.  IBM has
open-source implementations of the client and server parts of an LSID
resolution service in at least a couple languages, so if we ever find
a compelling use-case for remote LSID resolution, this will be cake.

-Ilya