[ome-devel] firefox 1.5 upgrade breaks viewer

kris kris at cs.ucsb.edu
Tue Mar 21 23:34:11 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 18:25 -0500, Josiah Johnston wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2006, at 1:30 PM, kris wrote:
>
> > Almost a soultion.  Unfortunately I've never been able to use
> > the Adobe plugin under linux effectively.  The SVG browser works
> > even with multiplane and time series images, but upon closing the image
> > window, the entire browser crashes and disappears.  I was hoping the
> > internal  browser would not.
>
> I've solved the first problem in the series of those caused by
> FireFox's native SVG implementation. Following your lead, I found that
> substituting "svgDocument" with "document" makes SVG better behaved in
> FireFox's SVG implementation, and still works with Adobe's plugin.
> The next problem is harder to diagnose. The image viewer now loads, but
> without the widget windows. The javascript console says:
> Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
> code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMSVGLocatable.getBBox]"
> nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame ::
> http://localhost/JavaScript/SVGviewer/stats.js :: anonymous :: line 70"
>   data: no]

Maybe you can submit it to firefox as an error in there stuff or at
least a test case.

> > Have there been any discussions concerning using Ajax
> > and simple html to do something similar to what can be
> > done in the SVG browser?
>
> There haven't been any discussions like that recently, but it would
> certainly be possible. Limitations of html are ability to zoom, pan,
> and easily draw overlays. Still, a stripped down html/ajax viewer would
> be useful. There was one three years ago, but was depricated in favor
> of the SVG viewer. If it were resurrected or cast anew, we could easily
> have the preferred viewer be a system preference. The old viewer can be
> found here:
> http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/horde/chora/browse.php?
> sa=1&f=%2FOME%2Fsrc%2Fperl2%2FOME%2F
> The files to look for are: GetGraphics.pl, GetGraphics.pm, and the
> Graphics directory
>
> It may be easier to write it from scratch. Much of its functionality is
> pre-image server. The image server's composite methods do most of the
> work now-a-days:
> http://openmicroscopy.org/api/omeis/composite.html
>
> -Josiah

We took this route and implemented a javascript viewer
as we wanted to mark up the images with other metadata.
We needed to ability to draw certain type of shape and track
information on the image and it appeared that SVG though
the right technology for this, was not stable enough to be useful.
Hopefully the SVG support will improve rapidly and we can
return to that route.

Thx

Kristian Kvilekval
kris at cs.ucsb.edu  http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~kris w:805-893-2526 h:504-9756