[ome-devel] firefox 1.5 upgrade breaks viewer

Josiah Johnston siah at nih.gov
Tue Mar 21 23:25:42 GMT 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 1:30 PM, kris wrote:

> Almost a soultion.  Unfortunately I've never been able to use
> the Adobe plugin under linux effectively.  The SVG browser works
> even with multiplane and time series images, but upon closing the image
> window, the entire browser crashes and disappears.  I was hoping the
> internal  browser would not.

I've solved the first problem in the series of those caused by
FireFox's native SVG implementation. Following your lead, I found that
substituting "svgDocument" with "document" makes SVG better behaved in
FireFox's SVG implementation, and still works with Adobe's plugin.
The next problem is harder to diagnose. The image viewer now loads, but
without the widget windows. The javascript console says:
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMSVGLocatable.getBBox]"
nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame ::
http://localhost/JavaScript/SVGviewer/stats.js :: anonymous :: line 70"
  data: no]

> Have there been any discussions concerning using Ajax
> and simple html to do something similar to what can be
> done in the SVG browser?

There haven't been any discussions like that recently, but it would
certainly be possible. Limitations of html are ability to zoom, pan,
and easily draw overlays. Still, a stripped down html/ajax viewer would
be useful. There was one three years ago, but was depricated in favor
of the SVG viewer. If it were resurrected or cast anew, we could easily
have the preferred viewer be a system preference. The old viewer can be
found here:
http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/horde/chora/browse.php?
sa=1&f=%2FOME%2Fsrc%2Fperl2%2FOME%2F
The files to look for are: GetGraphics.pl, GetGraphics.pm, and the
Graphics directory

It may be easier to write it from scratch. Much of its functionality is
pre-image server. The image server's composite methods do most of the
work now-a-days:
http://openmicroscopy.org/api/omeis/composite.html

-Josiah