[ome-devel] findObjects or obtainDBH for difficult queries

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Mar 16 19:01:19 GMT 2006

On Mar 16, 2006, at 12:46 PM, august wrote:

>>> Is this possible with findObjects?
>>

>> Now, here's your findObjects query:
>> $factory->findObjects ('@Testing', {
>> 	CellTypeList.CellType => "microglia",
>> 	CellColorList.Color   => "red"
>> 	});
>
> I'm not sure this really covers what I'm trying to do.
>
> I have up to three celltype identifications for any given image.
> I want to search "microglia" as a possibility in one and "muller" as a
> possibility in another, and then "ganglion" in another (for example)
>
> So, I am looking for way to do:
> 	$factory->findObjects ('@Testing', {
> 	       CellTypeList.CellType => "microglia",
> 	       CellTypeList.CellType => "muller",
> 	       CellTypeList.CellType => "ganglion",
>        });

So how about
	$factory->findObjects ('@Testing', {
	       CellTypeList.CellType => ['in',
['microglia','muller','ganglion']]
        });

> I think it would be possible somehow to have a couple variations of OR
> syntax.   A suggestion might be as follows:
>

> 	$factory->findObjects ('@Testing', {
> 	       [cell01, cell02, cell03 ] => "microglia",
>        });
>

> I really feel like not having any kind of an OR possibilities is a bit
> of a handicap.

I don't disagree with you.  I'm just trying to point out ways around
this limitation so you can do what you need sooner.
This kind of feature would not be trivial to implement.  Somebody
would need to dedicate a considerable chunk of time to do this
(possibly a week or two), and realistically I don't see it happening
soon (I can only speak for my group).  Now if someone else were to
volunteer, we would certainly help them out in any way we could.

-Ilya