[ome-devel] OME-perl environment variables

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Tue Jun 27 21:56:01 BST 2006

Hi Mike
It is by design, believe it or not.
The environment settings (OME::Install::Environment) have to do with
installation.  One of the settings in here that's important for tun-
time is how to connect to the DB.  Since this can't very well live in
the DB, these settings are stored in /etc/ome-install.store (look at
OME/doc/install-configs/ for some plain-text versions of this file).
The flags aren't stored in this file also by design, because these
are used to control how the installer runs (i.e. update flag, etc).
If you want to save a flag, or a set of related installation
settings, the pattern to follow is to put a method into
OME::Install::Environment to get/set your hash, then just whatever
you need into this hash.  If you follow the pattern where your
configuration block is a hash referenced from the main hash, it will
be saved in the file automatically.

The idea behind the /etc/ome-install.store is that it should store
enough information about the system to let you do a non-interactive
installation/update of the code-base (sudo perl install.pl -y).  This
is how the OS X GUI installer works.  The GUI basically just fills
out this /etc/ome-install.store file, then runs the regular installer
non-interactively.

The OME::Configuration settings are run-time configuration, so they
are stored in the DB's configuration table.  They're not supposed to
have overlap with things stored in /etc/ome-install.store, so the
decision where to put stuff really depends if you need the
information to install, or if you need it when running.

Probably the names of these things are slightly confusing.
Hope this clarifies things.
-I