[ome-devel] OME install woes: upload file through omeis

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Jun 1 18:27:22 BST 2006

On Jun 1, 2006, at 12:03 PM, august wrote:

>> There were some recent commits to CVS for the image server.
>> The original problem was an attempted work-around for a race
>> condition in Berkeley DB, which apparently held for the versions that
>> were tested, and failed miserably for others - especially when first
>> populating a new OMEIS repository.

[snip]

>> Anyway, long story short:  It would be helpful to try this again to
>> see if this was related to the recent OMEIS/Berkeley DB fix.
>

> Ilya,
>
> thanks for the report.   Unfortunately, I have a working installtion
> right now with lots of data and I don't want to muck with it.   As
> soon
> as I make a new install attempt (which should be soon) I will
> report any
> oddities.   [Or, is there a way to check the install withough
> having to
> dump the DB?]

The installer doesn't require dropping the DB - its designed to be an
updater as well.
You can update just by saying 'sudo perl install.pl -y', and it will
keep all your previous settings without asking for any input.

It will go through the motions of re-loading all the XML, so its not
a bad test (though it would be on a populated repository rather than
a new one).
Its still a good idea to do a pg_dumpall before updating though.

-Ilya