[ome-devel] OME install woes: upload file through omeis

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Thu Jun 1 15:17:24 BST 2006

There were some recent commits to CVS for the image server.
The original problem was an attempted work-around for a race
condition in Berkeley DB, which apparently held for the versions that
were tested, and failed miserably for others - especially when first
populating a new OMEIS repository.

Berkely DB still has a race condition in several of its versions, but
the latest CVS commits work around them with a much more robust
technique (by managing our own DB locking by using our own separate
lock file).  Whereas the original fix still resulted in a handful of
failures (2-5 out of 64,000 "concurrent" writes from 64 processes),
requiring a hack to "try it 25 times before giving up".  The current
fix had no failures that triggered the "try it again" code (which was
left in place anyway).  Testing was running the 64,000 concurrent-
write script (t/test-concurrent-write in src/C/omeis) multiple times
on new and populated repositories on FC1-4 and OS X using single and
multiple CPUs (this included 32-bit and 64-bit architectures).

Anyway, long story short:  It would be helpful to try this again to
see if this was related to the recent OMEIS/Berkeley DB fix.

Also, I can report that finding and programming around other people's
race conditions is no fun.
-Ilya