[ome-devel] quick question about SemanticTypeDefinitions

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Sat Jul 22 18:34:39 BST 2006

Hi Curtis

On Jul 20, 2006, at 5:19 PM, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible for an Element of a SemanticType to be a reference with
> RefersTo="*" or some such, to create an untyped reference?

Void * isn't currently supported, but its on the list - there's no
implementation for late typing, which we would need to do this.  The
type of the reference (i.e. its target) would be specified when the
object is instantiated rather than when its class is declared.

The implementation would most likely hide the fact that it created a
separate (most likely mapping) table and type between this reference
and the referand.
Either that or this reference would be unconstrained by the DB, which
is also an option (though less attractive due to safety and the
special handling required).

There are a couple of STs to do some of this though - ImageAnnotation
and DatasetAnnotation, and its pretty easy to add more STs with
explicit references.
Of course explicit references are fundamentally different from void */
late-typing references.

Sorry-
-Ilya