[ome-devel] quick question about SemanticTypeDefinitions

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Jul 20 22:19:01 BST 2006

Hi,

Is it possible for an Element of a SemanticType to be a reference with
RefersTo="*" or some such, to create an untyped reference? I ask because we
are looking to add a generic "notes" feature to our OME Metadata Notebook
program, where you could attach essentially a key/value pair to any element
in the XML, and it would be nice to be able to use a single type.

For example:
<OME>
  <Project>
    <CustomAttributes>
      <ProjectNote ID="3" name="" value=""/>
    </CustomAttributes>
  </Project>
  <Image>
    <CustomAttributes>
      <ImageNote ID="1" name="Thoughts" value="I could have sworn this
specimen died yesterday"/>
      <ImageNote ID="2" name="Thoughts" value="And I'm hungry"/>
      <ImageNote ID="16" thing="urn:lsid:
loci.wisc.edu:LogicalChannel:OWS67234" name="foo" value="bar"/>
    </CustomAttributes>
  </Image>
  <CustomAttributes>
    <GlobalNote ID="4" .../>
  </CustomAttributes>
</OME>

If RefersTo must point to a specific SemanticType, then we must create a
separate type of Note for each kind of ST we want to annotate. Or is there
an easier way to do this?

Also, it is possible to specify the SemanticType's AppliesTo as more than
just G, P, D, I or F? For instance, in the example above, it would be cool
to just have one SemanticType, "Note," with AppliesTo="PDIF" so that it
could appear beneath any of the various CustomAttributes locations.

Thanks,
Curtis