[ome-devel] help on OME commander

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Wed Jul 12 13:57:22 BST 2006

On Jul 11, 2006, at 6:07 PM, Qu, Chunxu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to delete an image from OME using the command ome:
>
> ome data delete MEX -n 556
>

> I was prompt to give a username and password.  Should this be my unix
> username/password or database username/password?

Its the OME username/password

>   Anyway, I tried both
> and all failed.  The error message is:
>

> DBD::Pg::db do failed:  ERROR: ome_sessions: permission denied at
> /../SessionManager.pm line 372.

The unix user that you are logged in as most likely isn't registered
as a postgres user.
Are you doing this when logged in as the unix admin user that was set
up by the OME installer?
Can you connect to the postgres database when logged in as this
user?  Try:
psql ome

By default, the unix user that gets set up as the OME unix admin user
is the owner of the OME distribution directory when you run the
installer.
You're not doing this as the unix root user, are you?

If you chose not to set up a unix admin user, or you are logged in as
someone else while executing ome commands, then the commands will
fail (this is a basic security precaution).
You can add additional OME admin users manually by creating a
postgres user matching the unix username (createuser command executed
as the postgres unix user), and adding the unix user to the ome unix
group ('ome' by default).  In order to have free reign (which is
usually necessary for deletion), the unix user should match the
postgres user, and the OME superuser.  This is set up for you by the
installer, but you have to be logged in as this person to have these
full privileges.

-Ilya