[ome-devel] Language poll

Javier Tibau jatb86 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 00:43:03 GMT 2006

I quote Josiah Johnston here since I couldn't have said it any better. :)

>I've started working on OME internationalization with Javier Tibau
>and Daniel Ochoa from the Center of Vision and Robotics in Guayaquil,
>Ecuador. They wish to provide a functional web interface in spanish
>for APROFE (translation: The Association to Promote the Health of
>Ecuadorian Families). APROFE is a non-profit health care provider,
>wishes to use OME to expedite communication between their technicians
>and pathologists.

I'm Javier Tibau. I'm studying computer science and got contacted by Daniel
Ochoa to work on OME so the Center can use it with APROFE. I haven't done
any perl programming and until recently haven't done any serious work. I
hope this will be the first of my contributions :)
I'm thrilled about the OME comunity, and have found very friendly people
here. Thanks to Tom Macura for introducing me to Josiah Johnston. And to
Josiah for enduring my lack of knowledge in many areas :)

Javier

On 12/18/06, Jason Swedlow <jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi josiah-
>

> On 18 Dec 2006, at 22:33, Josiah Johnston wrote:
>
> > Quick poll. Please respond if your answer is yes to either of these.
> >
> > Would you use OME in a non-english language if you could?
> > Have you implemented support for STDs?
> >

> i think this is great, but everyone I know is English speaking, so
> not very helpful. Would love to hear more about the
> internationalization idea-- who out there needs it?  Speak up!
>
> > We're starting to translate OME's semantic type definitions (STDs)
> > and web interface into spanish. I'm considering extending the STD XML
> > schema, and need to choose between possibly impacting existing code
> > or a using data structure that allows conflicting statements. If no
> > one else has implemented support for the STD schema, there will be no
> > impact to worry about.
> >

> Go for it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jason