[ome-devel] OME-XML Internationalization

Josiah Johnston siah at mac.com
Fri Dec 8 20:11:57 GMT 2006

I've started working on OME internationalization with Javier Tibau
and Daniel Ochoa from the Center of Vision and Robotics in Guayaquil,
Ecuador. They wish to provide a functional web interface in spanish
for APROFE (translation: The Association to Promote the Health of
Ecuadorian Families). APROFE is a non-profit health care provider,
wishes to use OME to expedite communication between their technicians
and pathologists.

I'm writing this email to give folks a heads-up, and to probe the
level of interest. A high level of support for internationalization
in the OME-XML interchange standards will be superfluous unless there
are people working in different languages who wish to exchange data.
Our current goal is to get a working prototype with minimal branching
from OME-HEAD. There's four phases to this:
1) Semantic Type labels and descriptions in multiple languages
(support in OME-XML and the database)
2) Finishing making the web UI completely template-driven, and
provide translations of templates
3) Specifying the language an attribute (ST instance) is written in
(support in OME-XML and the database)
4) Supporting non-english character sets (i.e. UNICODE) in OME-XML
and the database

We're currently focusing solely on 1 and 2. For this immediate
project, 3 and 4 are unnecessary because they wish to use OME for
domestic communication, and an english character set sufficiently
approximates the spanish character set for a functional system.

The proposed changes to Semantic Type Definitions are minor, and
could be easily ignored by legacy agents. The changes are to allow
many "Label" tags under an ST or Semantic Element (SE), each of which
would specify an "xml:lang" attribute. For legacy purposes, the
"Description" immediately under SemanticType would be assumed to be
english. This proposal hasn't been included in the OME-XML evolution
page because the implementation and level of planning is still
slightly too raw. I think UNICODE support (4) would be required
before it can be part of a standard, and we're several months away
from investigating that. Example:

<SemanticType Name= "Pixels" AppliesTo = "I">
	<Description>Storage location and data type of the image pixels,
including the extent of each dimension in the 5-D array.</Description>
	<Label xml:lang="es" Name="Pixeles">
		<Description>Localizacion del almacenaje y tipo de datos de los
pixeles de la imagen, incluyendo el grado de cada dimension en el
arsenal 5-D.</Description>
	</Label>
	<SemanticElement ...>...
</SemanticType>

Unfortunately, there can be redundancy in description if there is an
english label. The label itself will not be redundant, because it
will allow a human formatted version of an ST. For example,
DisplayOptions' label could include a space.
I considered having the translated Descriptions under ST instead of
Label to avoid potential for redundancy. However, that could impact
existing implementations that assume there are exactly 0 or 1
"Description" children of SemanticType.

Is anyone else considering internationalization? I've seen a bit of
traffic on the list from non-english speaking countries. Is English,
the new Latin, sufficient for your needs?
Has anyone outside of the core OME team implemented support for
semantic type definitions? If so, do you foresee these changes
screwing up your code?

-Josiah