[ome-devel] SQL caching in DBObject (Modified by Josiah Johnston)

Josiah Johnston siah at nih.gov
Thu Sep 29 21:15:27 BST 2005

I've recently been profiling the code base, trying to improve run time
for the analysis system. My test case was the Signature Chain (part of
the classifier) ran against 20 200x200 greyscale images of Nematode
terminal bulbs.
I found that calls to __makeSelectSQL() accounts for 31% of total
execution time. I revived the caching code I wrote last January from
its dead branch. I tested it by installing, then using the Web UI to
import two images and executing the dataset test chain on the new
dataset.
I've attacched a table summarizing those results. A cache pass was
determined by retrieving the result from cache, recalculating the
result, and comparing them.

I haven't finished reprofiling the Signature Chain code, but I
anticipate this will result in a 20-30% speedup.

I've committed the changes to DBObject.

Enjoy!
-Josiah