[ome-devel] web client logged out prematurely

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Wed Feb 16 21:42:31 GMT 2005

One of the reasons you probably had problems is that this seems to be a
non-stock OS X system (Apache 2).
The installer pretty much assumes you have a more or less stock system
and followed the installation instructions on our web-site pertaining
to your OS.  It tries to make some allowances, but its pretty hard to
take account of all the possible things that can happen to a unix
system (it tries to be smart, but its really still kind of dumb all in
all).  I'm sorry it caused you frustration.

I've never run Postgres 7.4 on OS X, so I don't know if this is causing
you problems.  The install instructions for OS X refer to a 7.2.2
package we use for this OS.  Our Fedora systems use 7.3.4-RH, and that
works well.  We've had trouble with certain versions of Postgres in the
past, but that is not to say that your version is the problem (I don't
know).  The more likely cause of your trouble is Apache 2.  Apache
2/mod_perl is not considered a "stable" configuration by its own
developers, and there are certain things that we do that can lead to
problems (though not of the type you've specified).  Red-Hat seems to
be the only Apache2/mod_perl distribution that fixes some bugs that OME
exposes.  We run Apache 2/mod_perl on Red-Hat/Fedora, but really no
where else.

Unfortunately, to trouble-shoot this we'll have to figure out what
exactly you did to your system to make it work as far as you did.  This
isn't a known bug or previously observed behavior.
Once you've done an install, there will be log files in
/var/tmp/OME/install.  Getting the outputs of those would be a start.
Probably need to take a look at your Apache confs too.  Are you sure
you only have one Apache installed on your system right now?  Sorry to
ask, but I've done this myself a few times.  We should probably write a
big disclaimer on our documentation not to mess around with the Apache
that comes with the OS.  This almost always leads to a world of
trouble.

-Ilya