[ome-devel] Opinions on Java 5

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Fri Aug 19 14:52:25 BST 2005

To clarify, discussion of the relative virtues of different programming
languages is academic and largely moot (and leads to flames and
religious warfare).  The simple reason why this discussion is focused
on Java is that there is a great horde of Java developers, and as a
consequence a great variety of open-source projects for libraries,
frameworks, development tools, etc.  The drive for the discussion was
to try and farm out components of OME to other independent projects in
order to reduce the complexity of our code-base (thereby reducing the
cost of maintenance), improve performance, and "features".
Specifically, we would like to farm out the object-relational mapping,
and both ends of the middle-ware (remote objects) without imposing
language requirements on the client, while preserving the dynamic
nature of our data model.  I'm not at all familiar with the Ada
community.  Are there open-source Ada projects that already do these
sorts of things?

Take care
Ilya