[ome-devel] Opinions on Java 5

Robert C. Leif rleif at rleif.com
Thu Aug 18 17:02:50 BST 2005

   Although Java has some benefits over C and C++, its major virtue was a
brilliant sales campaign. Java was introduced without generics or enumerated
types.  I gather that generics, which are extremely useful, have finally
been added.  Does Java 5 have enumerated types?  Aonix
(http://www.aonix.com/) has an add-on for hard real-time that should be
useful.  C# is a similar effort by Microsoft and ECMA.  C# does not appear
to be used much, if at all, on other operating systems.
   Since some of you might not know that an alternative to both languages,
Ada, exists, I have added the following to provide an idea of what should be
expected in a programming language.  Ada has portability including maximum
operating system independence, ISO standardization, excellent generics,
safety, readability, superior real-time performance including rate-monotonic
scheduling, interfaces to C and other languages, and good error messages.
Obviously, there are advantages for a GNU compiler.  In fact the best
implementation of Ada is the GNU compiler, GNAT.  I do not know about other
GNU compilers.  However, the support for a free compiler can be greater than
the price of a commercial compiler with support.  For instance AdaCore
(http://www.gnat.com/) prefers to sell support for their Professional
(commercial edition) for $10,000 for four seats per year.  The free version,
3.15, of the compiler is about 3 years old and the free version of the
environment is over one year old.  Academics can get the Professional
Edition free.
   Bob Leif