[ome-devel] OME installation difficulties

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Mon Aug 15 00:36:35 BST 2005

That's nice.  So debian decides to call the Apache user 'www-data'.
Why not 'www/data' or 'www data' or throw some other really nasty
characters into the username.  It should "just work", right?  Right.

Apparently postgres is none too happy about this user name, and who
would blame it really?

Just as a note, I know a lot of people like debian, and its certainly a
favorite among linux-heads.
The problem is that its not a favorite among most of the people who
would be using ome (instead of developing for it).  If developers use
OSes that are different from those used by our users, then we should
expect our users to have problems (check!).

I would be more than happy to "Officially" support debian, but my
resources are limited in terms of supporting it ourselves.  My group
tests everything on OS X 10.3 and Fedora 1, 2 and 3 (please note the
version numbers).  If there are people out there who prefer other OSes,
they are more than welcome to patch the installer and other software to
support these OSes.  Otherwise it just makes work for everyone else.

My suggestion for this case would be to fix the installer so that it
works properly (for you and for other people who might want to use
debian) by escaping the (rather stupidly named, I should say) apache
user with quotes.

As far as long-term debian support, someone needs to "own" support for
this OS, which basically means maintaining the installer, the
installation notes, etc.  It can't be my group because we don't use it.
  Until we have an owner for debian support, then its status by
definition remains "Unofficial".
I would be happy to help someone fix this if that someone volunteers to
be the debian maintainer.
So, volunteers?

Thanks
Ilya