[ome-devel] OME installation difficulties

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Aug 12 22:32:40 BST 2005

Hi,

As of late, we have been having trouble getting OME up and running on
our machines.

We had two fresh Debian testing i386 machines, and tried to install both
the stable and CVS versions of OME, and ran into a variety of difficulties.

First of all, some notes on the Debian prerequisites page:
 - libtiff3g is no longer available (using libtiff4 instead).
 - libgd2-dev requires libpng12-dev, but that conflicts with the libpng2
prerequisite.
 - The libdb_B-Tree prerequisite (libdb4.3-dev) is not mentioned.
 - The libcurl prerequisite for CVS also isn't covered on the page, but
I assume that's because it's a new addition since the stable release.

Here are some errors we received trying to install the 2.4 stable release:

-----
Creating OME PostgreSQL SUPERUSER (ome)[SUCCESS].
Creating Apache PostgreSQL SUPERUSER (www-data)[FAILURE].

Errors executing task: Unable to create PostgreSQL superuser 'www-data',
see CoreDatabaseTablesTask.log for details. at (eval 99) line 1

 at ./install.pl line 80
        main::run_tasks() called at ./install.pl line 249
# Looks like your test died before it could output anything.
-----

 From CoreDatabaseTablesTask.log:

-----
Creating OME PostgreSQL SUPERUSER (ome)
Result for creating OME_USER ome:
FATAL:  user "ome" does not exist

Result for creating OME_USER ome as postgres:
FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "postgres"

Unable to create PostgreSQL superuser 'www-data'
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "-" at character 16
-----

It looks like the first problem is that the command:
   template1=# CREATE USER www-data CREATEUSER;
does not like the dash in www-data. So instead you have to do:
   template1=# CREATE USER "www-data" CREATEUSER;

After doing that manually, I received this error:

-----
Creating OME PostgreSQL SUPERUSER (ome)[SUCCESS].
Creating Apache PostgreSQL SUPERUSER (www-data)

Errors executing task: Modifying user priviledges is not supported -
sorry. at /home/curtis/OME/src/perl2/OME/Database/PostgresDelegate.pm
line 198, <STDIN> line 21.

 at ./install.pl line 80
        main::run_tasks() called at ./install.pl line 249
# Looks like your test died before it could output anything.
-----

That's currently where I'm stuck. I could probably figure it out if I
knew more about Postgres. Is there something you guys do to configure
the postgres installations on your machines that I'm not doing?

Trying the latest version from CVS, I first receive this error:

-----
Would you like to install OLE::Storage_Lite from the repository ? [y/n]: y
    \_ Downloading
http://openmicroscopy.org/packages/perl/OLE-Storage_Lite-0.14.tar.gz
[FAILURE].

Errors executing task: Unable to download package, see
PerlModuleTask.log for details. at (eval 35) line 1

 at ./install.pl line 80
        main::run_tasks() called at ./install.pl line 249
# Looks like your test died before it could output anything.
-----

 From PerlModuleTask.log:

-----
ERRORS DOWNLOADING MODULE -- OUTPUT FROM DOWNLOADER "wget -nv -N":
"http://openmicroscopy.org/packages/perl/OLE-Storage_Lite-0.14.tar.gz:
 15:00:46 ERROR 404: Not Found.
-----

Declining to install that module, the Spreadsheet::ParseExcel test then
failed after downloading and installing it:

-----
Would you like to install Spreadsheet::ParseExcel from the repository ?
[y/n]: y
    \_ Downloading
http://openmicroscopy.org/packages/perl/Spreadsheet-ParseExcel-0.2603.tar.gz
[SUCCESS].
    \_ Unpacking [SUCCESS].
    \_ Configuring [SUCCESS].
    \_ Compiling [SUCCESS].
    \_ Testing [FAILURE].
Unable to test module, see PerlModuleTask.log for details. at (eval 35)
line 1
Some tests failed, would you like to continue anyway ? [y/n]: y
    \_ Installing [SUCCESS].
-----

After a few more steps, the installer finally dies at the same place as
the 2.4 installer. So it looks like I'm stuck for now.

Mike, a student we have working on some sysadmin tasks, was able to get
further into the install on another fresh Debian testing i386 machine,
but eventually started running into errors with DBD::Pg. I recently
noticed the note on the prerequisites page about some versions of
DBD::Pg being unreliable, so I've asked him to verify which version we
are using (what's the easiest way to do that?).

I will be on vacation for the next couple of weeks, but I have CC'ed
Mike on this email. He will continue investigating these installation
issues, and hopefully get them resolved, so that I can announce our
OME-TIFF work when I return. (I accidently hosed skyking, the box
containing our only working installation of OME from CVS. I reinstalled
Debian, but as described above I haven't been able to get OME working on
it again. I can't test our OME-TIFF sample data with the OME-TIFF
importer until we get OME working first.)

Thanks a lot for any assistance!

-Curtis