[ome-devel] updates to back-end, ome-java, and shoola

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Wed Apr 27 18:41:24 BST 2005

Harry was too modest to say, but these changes did achieve the order of
magnitude performance improvement that we were seeking.  In summary, a
moderately complex DAG query that used to take on the order of 13
seconds to return to the client is now done in about a second.  Most of
this is due to customized query optimizations, but there are general
benefits as well (i.e. not using SOAP::Lite by default).  Also the
customized optimizations both serve as examples to do query-specific
optimizations in the future, and point the way to some strategies for
making these specialized optimizations more general.

Specifically, a big win from a generalized optimization appears to be
in eliminating the hash-of-hashes intermediate for the DAG result, and
serializing DBObjects directly to XMLRPC while we still have the
DBObjects and their reflection interface to get to the datatypes.
Otherwise the datatype of each field of each node in the DAG has to be
guessed using regular expression patterns, which is an expensive
operation that is repeated many times.
-Ilya

On Apr 27, 2005, at 10:27 AM, Harry Hochheiser wrote:

> As the changes I've made to various pieces of the xml-rpc server,
> ome-java , and shoola are basically complete and solid, I'd like to
> try to merge them back into head. A summary of what's been done:

[Snip]