[ome-devel] LogicalChannel ST vs ChannelInfo XML element

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Fri Apr 22 23:28:52 BST 2005

I have been working on a Java implementation of some classes for easily
parsing OME-XML files. I am implementing all the ome-java interfaces
from org.openmicroscopy.ds.dto and org.openmicroscopy.ds.st, except that
instead of querying a database, using criteria, being backed by a Map,
etc., each implementating class is backed by an org.w3c.dom.Element
object (an element of a DOM structure). The implementation just provides
a thin wrapper layer around the DOM to make traversal easier (following
ID references, etc.).

I am almost done, but I am confused about LogicalChannels. At first, I
did not understand why the class was called LogicalChannel when it
seemed to refer to the ChannelInfo element from ome.xsd. So I
implemented all the methods assuming a backing ChannelInfo DOM element.
But when trying to implement some of
org.openmicroscopy.ds.st.LogicalChannel's methods
(getAuxLightWavelength, getAuxTechnique, getAuxLightAttentuation, etc.)
I noticed those fields are not part of ChannelInfo. I searched for STs
containing these terms and hit upon the LogicalChannel ST in
Core/Image.ome. A lot of the ChannelInfo fields are duplicated in this ST.

So now I'm confused. Can an OME file have the overlapping information
stored either within a ChannelInfo element, or under CustomAttributes as
part of a LogicalChannel element? Or is one of these two constructs
obsolete?

Thanks,
Curtis