[ome-devel] OME install problems with fedora core 2

Mark Roden mark at intelligent-imaging.com
Wed Sep 22 20:02:14 BST 2004

Hi,

I'm having problems installing OME version 2.2.1 on a
completely clean fedora core 2 installation.  I've managed to
quite a bit further installing the OME server package with
fedora, as opposed to a piecemeal Redhat 9 installation;
however, I still have the following problems:

<begin OME install log>
Would you like to install GD from the repository ? [y/n]: y
    \_ Downloading
http://openmicroscopy.org/packages/perl/GD-1.33.tar.gz [SUCCE SS].
    \_ Unpacking [SUCCESS].
    \_ Configuring NOTICE: This module requires libgd 1.8.3 or
higher (shared li brary version 4.X).

Please choose the features that match how libgd was built:
Build JPEG support? [y] y
Build FreeType support? [y] y
Build XPM support? [y] y

If you experience compile problems, please check the @INC,
@LIBPATH and @LIBS
arrays defined in Makefile.PL and manually adjust, if necessary.

Writing Makefile for GD
[SUCCESS].
    \_ Compiling [FAILURE].

Errors executing task: Unable to compile module, see
PerlModuleTask.log for deta ils. at (eval 32) line 1

        main::run_tasks() called at install.pl line 249
# Looks like your test died before it could output anything.
</end OME install log>

Where is this Makefile.PL?  What changes can I make to it?  Is
there something wacky with a default fedora install that would
make this not work just right off a clean install?  Should I
do a network update of fedora?  That doesn't appear to be
working right now, and I doubt that broken installation paths
will be fixed by updated gnome libs anyway...

Also, once I get this running, does it work on any specific
ports?  What should I allow past my local firewall here?

Thanks
Mark