[ome-devel] OMEIS/Files/* Structure

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Thu Sep 9 14:48:31 BST 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 03:20:43PM +0200, Joshua Moore wrote:
> Chris Allan wrote:
>
> >>It's not so much that I want to change it, but I might like to to know
> >>
> >>when it's happening (for balancing space allocation before we get a
> >>parallel file system.) But while we're on the subject, did anyone ever
> >>test this setting for performance?
> >>

> >Performance of what?
> >

> this value (k=1000) balances directory depth versus width. I'm pretty
> sure that the setting has no real impact, but why 10^3 and not 2 or 4?
> (Ok, 4 is getting obviously too high. 1?)

Ah. I would venture to say that the performance difference here vastly
exceeds the possibility of measurement. Backup, archival and general
file system listing algorithms will quite obviously choke horribly on
directories with millions of files, or millions of directories. 10^3 was
chosen, as far as I know, because it's a happy compromise between 10^2
and 10^4.  The "performance" of these calculations and subsequent
directory lookups on the filesystem is negligable.

Ciao.

-Chris