[ome-devel] My read of GLPL

John Kalstrom johnkjunk at juno.com
Thu Sep 9 03:49:02 BST 2004

I intend to create a commercial product that uses OME.  I've been reading the GNU Library Public License (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/library.html#SEC3).  I'd heard before that GLPL doesn't require anything as long as the open software is unmodified.  I can still sell the overall product and not include source (especially, non-OME source).

But there were some things that I didn't know, and I wanted to verify that I hadn't misread them, or overlooked any additional requirements.
  #4 If OME "binaries" (I'm including perl / XML here) are included, OME source must be included
  #6 If OME is modified, everything must be included so that the user can make more modifications to OME, and create a working product.  Also, the documentation and/or program must state that OME is being used.  And include a copy of the GLPL.

I was really concerned about the 3 years thing, 6b, but it sounds like satisfying 6a (including everything needed to "rebuild") elminates that.

Questions:
1) I want to verify that I can still charge for the overall product, even if OME is modified.
2) Also, do I need to make the modified OME source available to those who _haven't_ purchased the overall product?  (I expect that they'll be specific to the product, not new features, so I doubt anyone would want them...)

(#4 gets messier when I want to include copies of perl and apache, but I'll cross that bridge if this project even gets that far.)

John Kalstrom