[ome-devel] "unknown format" error

Macura, Tomasz (NIH/NIA/IRP) macurato at grc.nia.nih.gov
Mon Sep 6 22:28:05 BST 2004

Hello,

We don't support .gif, .png, nor .jpg images. Look here for an explanation:
http://lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk/pipermail/ome-devel/2004-July/000062.html

So OME acts correctly when it chalks them up as "unknown". As a curiosity,
do you really have .gif microscopy images or are you trying to use OME as an
iPhoto replacement?

The closest thing we support are TIFFs so if you really want to import the
images you must use Gimp ImageMagic et. al. to convert them to TIFFs.

>In a 2.2.0 installation, I did see the images appear in /OME/OMEIS/Files,
though the import would still fail.  Not even getting >that far now.
It is a very good sign that you can't see the images in /OME/OMEIS/Files !!!
>From 2.2.1 if an image import fails, the original file is deleted from OMEIS
on
purpose because it is no longer useful. In 2.2.0 it was left there. This is
one of the 200 bugs we fixed between 2.2.0 and 2.2.1

This is not a permission problem.

Hope this helps,

Tom

P.S: is John your real name ?

On Sep 3, 2004, at 1:58 PM, johnkjunk at juno.com wrote:

When I try to upload an image, to either an existing or new dataset, the
task gets the message "Imported 0 images from 0 files. 1 scanned. 1 unknown
format, 0 duplicates, 0 errors."

I get this error when trying to import .gif, .png, and .jpg.  /lib has
libgif.so, libpng.so and libjpeg.so.

Could there be a perl module that I'm missing?  Installation was almost
clean -- error about ome and apache users already existing in the DB.

At first, I thought that this might be a permissions problem.  My
experimenter ("ome") uses /home/ome as the upload directory, which I've
given public read to.  Files are also public read.  Also added the ome user
to apache group and vice versa.

In a 2.2.0 installation, I did see the images appear in /OME/OMEIS/Files,
though the import would still fail.  Not even getting that far now.

OME 2.2.1 (also saw this in 2.2.0)
OS: Fedora 2.4