[ome-devel] Questions and proposals

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Thu Nov 11 11:00:22 GMT 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 11:38:58AM +1100, Richard Beare wrote:

> >Try:
> >ome help admin data delete MEX
> >It is likely to delete more than you thought it would, so be careful,
> >and try the -n flag first.
> >Only available from CVS so far...
>

> Thanks,
> so what does MEX actually stand for? I assumed it related to matlab mex
> files so hadn't checked into it.

MEX in this case is OME specific vocabulary. It shorthand for "module
execution." :)

> >Right now, the only way to enter it is to read an OME format XML
> >file.   It hasn't been a priority for a user interface because this
> >kind of  information need only be entered once, and eventually be
> >entered for  you by the manufacturer (lets hope!).  Subsequent files
> >(images) will  simply refer to fields in this structure by reference.
>
> Are there some examples anywhere?

A good place to start would be the "Sample.ome" file in CVS.

http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/horde/chora/cvs.php/OME-WEBSITE/TestImages/Sample.ome

You can download a copy here:

http://www.openmicroscopy.org/TestImages/

> >CVS has a more generalized mechanism for scanning this type of
> >information from filenames.  If this information is in a
> >manufacturer-specific file, you will need to modify one of the
> >importer  scripts to read this information from this type of file.
> >Alternatively, this can be done by reading OME XML.  The datatype
> >(Semantic Type in OME parlance) to contain this information is
> >defined,  but probably not in a finalized state.  I believe the DKFZ
> >group is  working on this.
>
> We are mostly writing imagePro scripts, so we can save this information
> in any form we like. I'll look into the data type.
>

> >>Unfortunately the CVS version is in an interim state right now.  It
> >>works well off with a 'fresh' database (its tested nightly by an
> >>automated script), but we are in the middle of a transition in how
> >>we  define categories (from dataset-granularity to
> >>global-granularity), so  your mileage may vary depending on what day
> >>you update from CVS.  We  anticipate this to be resolved in the next
> >>week or so.  Please try a  "latest" version, because a few problems
> >>like this were corrected  recently.  If they weren't we would like to
> >>work with you to resolve  them so that they don't come back to bite
> >>us when we finally do our  next release.
> >

> I tried to install from scratch but obviously didn't do enough. Is
> dropping the database, removing the installation (/OME/) heirarchy and
> the /etc/ome-store file enough to constitute a fresh install? What else
> is necessary.

That's about all that's required. For a *totally* clean install you'd
have to remove the installed Perl modules as well. I believe you can
still do this potentially dangerous option as follows:

cd src/perl2
make uninstall

> Alternatively, are there cvs tags or branches that allow me to retrieve
> a "latest" version. I've only seen "stable" and "current" on the web
> site. I've installed current (as a fresh install if the above is
> sufficient), but seem to have problems with thumbnails and serving images.

The easiest way to get what's in development (assuming you're
comfortable with CVS) is to checkout the "OME" module. Details on how to
do that are available here:

http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/

> Thanks again.

Ciao.