[ome-devel] Installation

Chris Allan callan at blackcat.ca
Thu Nov 11 10:51:39 GMT 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 11:31:52AM +0100, Asif Jan wrote:
> Hi all;

Hi again Asif.

First off, some general questions:

* What distribution are you running? (RedHat, SuSE, etc.)

* The Apache config files should work properly with mod_perl 1 and
  2 (we have them working on several distros); have we done a bad job at
  detecting your Apache install possibly? Do you have two Apache
  installs?

> I was able to solve the probelm by adding following line to the
> httpd2.web.conf  file
>
> PerlOptions     +ParseHeaders
>
> In addition I changed the PerlHandler directive to PerlResponseHandler
> (with value ModPerl::Registry )
> to be consistent with modperl 2 configuration.

The fact that you've had to do any of this really sets off some warning
bells. We've deployed the system on at least half a dozen mod_perl 1
and mod_perl 2 distributions without changing Apache directives.

> However, the web interface is not working properly i.e. at times I can
> not login, logout does not work, creating projects does not work.  I
> guess this has something to do with permissions of OME perl modules ;
> but have no clue as how to solve it.

What browser are you using? Do you have cookies turned on? This really
should not have anything to do with Perl module permissions. Can you
send/attach the contents of your Apache error.log?

> login using ome admin util works fine;
>
> The OME perl modules are located at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0  ; and all of these files and dirs are
> owned by user root . I changed the ownership of ome directory and ome.pm
> file to ome user; but that also did not solve the probelm.

Fiddling with the permissions of things inside /OME is going to get you
into a world of trouble. Certain files in there need to have a certain
set of permissions and are set that way by the installer.

> Thanks in advance;

You're welcome.

> Asif

Ciao.