[ome-devel] CSHL/WT Genome Informatics Meeting-- including Image Informatics!!!!

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Sun Jun 27 11:54:49 BST 2004

Hello-

I am writing to alert you to an upcoming meeting, entitled "Genome
Informatics", organized by Lincoln Stein, Suzi Lewis, and Ewan Birney.
The meeting is a a joint Cold Spring Harbor Lab/Wellcome Trust affair,
and will be held at the Trust's Conference Center at Hinxton, just
outside of Cambridge, England, Sept 22 - 26, 2004, starting with a
session Wednesday evening and ending on Sunday morning.  More info is
at: http://meetings.cshl.org/2004/2004infouk.htm.

Genome Informatics???  Why should you care???

Well, the organizers, in their wisdom, have taken a broad view of
genome informatics and are including sessions of functional
informatics.  One of the sessions will specifically look at image
annotation and analysis.  Pretty cool, huh?

Obviously, imaging is an emerging area for systems biology and new
informatics solutions are necessary to deal with this data.  The field
is in its infancy now but is starting to grow rapidly.   In your own
research, many of you are using image-based screening or systems-level
analysis using imaging. As such, the session comes at an ideal time to
assess where our field is and where we need to go.

I am chairing this session and therefore am therefore asking you or
someone from your lab, to submit an abstract on the techniques you are
developing to enable image-based screening, systems-level image
analysis, and other image-based analysis schemes.  For the purposes of
this session, we will focus less on cell engineering and data
acquistion and more on the tools required to turn large numbers of
images into biological understanding.  A major goal will be to separate
the wheat from the chaff!

This meeting is run in a "Cold Spring Harbor" manner, which means the
abstracts are completely open - anyone can send an abstract in. Each
submitter is asked to state a preference of poster or talk.  All talks
in this session will be chosen from the abstracts.

I am sending this announcement to as many people as possible, but
please do forward to friends, colleagues, lists, etc.  See the meeting
web site for details on abstract submission.  Abstracts are due June
30, 2004.

Hope to see you in Hinxton!!!!!

Cheers,

Jason