[ome-devel] (no subject)

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Sat Jun 26 20:25:49 BST 2004

Hello-

The attached message describes a proposal by Bitplane AG, submitted to
EAMNET at the recent European Light Microscopy Initiative Meeting in
Goteborg, Sweden, to use OME XML as a data exchange format of light
microscopy.  OME XML is the file format developed by the Open
Microscopy Environment, an open source image software project devoted
to developing software tools for biological microscopy.

  A word about where the OME XML file is coming from:

The Open Microscopy Environment provides a system for storing and
accessing binary image data, metadata, and analytic results.  The
project has been running since 1998.  The best site for documentation
about OME is at http://docs.openmicroscopy.org.uk.  The ideas behind
the project are most recently described in Swedlow et al (2003)
Informatics and quantitative analysis in biological imaging. Science.
300:100-2.  The project is open source, licensed under LGPL.  OME was
founded in 1998 by Peter Sorger (MIT), Ilya Goldberg (NIH), and myself
(Univ of Dundee).

One of the major design requirements for OME is that the database be
locally extensible-- your science will be different than mine, so your
data model will differ too.  Your instance of OME must adapt to your
changing needs.   To solve this problem, we build the OME database
schema from an XML specification.  The easiest way to view this is at
http://docs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/api/xml/OME/index.html.  However the
full description of the namespace is available for download at
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/OME/FC/ome.xsd  If you want an
HTML view of this, go to
http://www.openmicroscopy.org/XMLschemas/OME/latest/ome_xsd/  How this
is gets implemented is at
http://docs.openmicroscopy.org.uk/newbie/db-def.html

Bitplane was commissioned a number of years ago by EAMNET to propose a
file exchange format for microscopy.  They have examined OME XML and
are proposing it as a possible solution.  The OME project supports this
proposal insomuch as it means more people might use it and help improve
it.  We are reluctant to call it a "standard" yet.  If people look at
it, use it, find its faults, and help us improve it, then maybe it can
one day become a de facto standard.  We think it is ready for real
world use, but we expect we have not included everything the community
will need.  Finally, I note that the OME XML file is distinct from the
larger goals of OME, namely a database and interface system for
biological microscopy.  See our docs site for more info.

Thanks again for your support.

Cheers,

Jason

Begin forwarded message: