[ome-devel] ome admin data delete was Re: OME_2_2 versus HEAD

Ilya Goldberg igg at nih.gov
Tue Aug 31 14:07:36 BST 2004

On Aug 31, 2004, at 3:24 AM, Joshua Moore wrote:

> Ilya Goldberg wrote:
>> I put a new command into 'ome admin data' called 'delete MEX'.  This
>> lets you delete a module execution and everything that's dependent on
>> it.  This is also only in HEAD.  Its a new command, so its fairly
>> experimental.  You should try it with the '-n' flag to see what it
>> will actually delete.
>
> Interesting. It worked to get rid of a hung execution because of bug
> 267. It should also prove useful for spring cleaning. Are there plans
> for a UI? And what about saying delete Project/Dataset/Image and
> having the needed MEXes found and removed?

A UI for deletion?  I don't know.  Its a very dangerous tool because it
can delete a whole lot more than you intended, and there's no going
back.  I think the only UI that would be appropriate is one that can
plot the entire DAG and give visual indication to the user exactly what
will happen when you delete.  I think this is really something that
should only be done by an administrator for 'spring cleaning' as you
say.

The MEX deletion is the basis of deleting anything in the DB, so all
other deletions should be pretty straight forward after this
(attributes, STs, etc.).  If you want to delete an image for now, you
will have to figure out its Import MEX or the Original File MEX that it
depends on.  You can find these out using the Web UI, I believe.
Currently, it will also delete the file/pixels in omeis unless you tell
it not to.  Orphaned files in OMEIS are actually not technically a
violation of the data model because the two data stores are
independent.

-I